Monday, July 12, 2010

Indescribable Pain

             I'm supposed to be asleep, but I have so much on my mind like I have off and on for the last couple of weeks. I don't even know where to start with this blog...all I can think about is the indescribable pain all around me. Until I am in some one's shoes, I have no idea how they feel; all I know is what I have seen.
    Memories come back to my mind of what I know, what I've experienced. My first idea of true pain was when my little second cousin's life was taken over 11 years ago. That, to me, was indescribable pain.
    I had never cried so hard as I did those few days. My next memory was when the chancellor of my college died when we all expected him to make it. He had been like a grandfather to us at the college, giving so much of his time, showering us with gifts and acting silly...I think back to the frozen stillness as I was working the switchboard and could barely answer the phone calls coming through and my boss sent me back to my dorm, knowing I couldn't talk...the hallways were full of crying students...my room-mates all lay on our beds in silence with nothing to say, the shock was great. That, to me, at the time was indescribable pain.
      My next memory was when my baby boy was four months old...right after midnight, after Mother's Day, the phone call came through that Mamaw Hamm went Home. Walking into her room where her sick body had lain, was more than I could bare at the time...I sat on her back porch overlooking a beautiful view and imagined her there as the tears ran down my face...the chilling rain was soaking all of us as her grandsons carried her coffin on that mountain-top...that, to me, was indescribable pain.
      It was a Sunday morning, and we got the phone call as we were getting ready for church, just this past September. Papaw Hamm was going to be attending church in Heaven that morning. It was so hard walking through the house where he spent his last days. I felt as if his presence was still there, especially as I sat in his garden. To me, walking up to the casket with the family, knowing his life here on Earth was over, was indescribable pain. I think I hurt worse when I saw my husband, Josh, crying. Standing by the graveside as the grandsons carried his body to rest on that mountain-top was so final...to me, that was indescribable pain.
       The common denominator between all of these stories is that I will see every single one of these people again someday. The human body is frail...we can't imagine NOT seeing those we love again on this Earth. We can't contemplate the breath of life being just....GONE FOREVER. It's something we, ourselves, haven't survived to tell others about it. The thing we do know is that once our body dies, our spirit, who we really are, will live forever. Our spirit can't die. If you can imagine talking to someone on the telephone or even texting, it's our body's doing the talking, but in reality we don't see each other...we are speaking spirits. Even in the indescribable pain down here on Earth, we can know deep within our spirits that we have the privilege of seeing our loved ones again, in Heaven. They have simply graduated from this life onto the next. That is what makes the pain a little lesser, if you may, than if there was NO hope whatsoever. It doesn't stop the throbbing pain deep within your chest or the tears that burn your eyes because you've cried so much.
      So, I know of several different people who are hurting deeply tonight; one has lost her husband of almost 3 years just last night. One friend lost her brother from a tragedy that was unexpected. Two hurt all day, remembering that exactly a year ago today, they lost their mom to cancer. Another, hurt badly on Saturday, remembering that that would've been her brother's 30th birthday. I'm sure there are other's around the world, experiencing what I would call indescribable pain. But there is a "PEACE THAT PASSES ALL UNDERSTANDING." This peace can be found in Jesus Christ our Lord. He alone can grant this peace and heal the broken heart. Without Him, I couldn't survive any indescribable pain.
      
      

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good writing! You are doing much better at putting down your thoughts!
I look forward to your posts.