Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Legacy

       Pastor William Darrell Hamm, Sr. was born on May 24, 1930 and went home on September 6, 2009. He was a pastor for 45 years of his life, and he served our country in the Army fighting in the Korean War. On September 8, 2009, we laid him to rest at the top of a mountain right next to our Mamaw Hamm. The sun was shining as if God was smiling down, and as we reached the top, we saw a deer off to the side. It was a tear-filled memorable service not only honoring a veteran but also a great preacher of the Word. Uncle Mitch sang, "Go Rest High on That Mountain" as we cried tears of sadness and rejoicing. I lost it when I saw the Christian flag draping the coffin because that was Papaw...a true Christian in every sense of the word. Then, right beside his head was the American flag; his hands were clutching the old black Book that he preached from for years. I have to say that Papaw Darrell was one of the best Christians that I have ever met in my whole 29 years of life. He knew what the word "LOVE" meant; he also knew what it meant to live by example. I kept thinking that I am forever grateful that we named our little boy after him, Joseph WILLIAM DARRELL. Papaw left behind a legacy to not only his grandchildren but his great-grandchildren and generations to come. I am blessed to have known him and to have the memories that I do. I am thankful to be called his grand-daughter, even if it was by marriage; he treated me as if I was his own. I love you Papaw Darrell; your legacy will live on in my life and I will be sure that your great-grandchildren, Charity and JW will know about you and Mamaw. "Go rest high on that mountain until we meet again in glory..."

2 comments:

Bonnie Hamm Hoover said...

I loved your story of "Legacy". He was a cousin that I never got to know.. by the things I read on fb and your writing.. he was a wonderful man. God Bless you Bonnie Hamm Hoover

Sandy from Camp Summers said...

Dear Elizabeth,
Your blog put into words what I feel in my heart. Dad was a simple man, but very, very intelligent. When he prayed, you could feel God's presence. Dad preached the Word and let God do the rest. There has been times when he was the underdog as David going up against Goliath. He loved like very few people can and do. He loved the soul. He was the very best Pastor, the best of friend, the best dad, and the best husband. When he had the privilege of marrying Rhodetta, he said she would always know how much he loved her. If you ask her, she will tell you there wasn't a minute that passed that she ever doubted. I hope to do what Dad did, he did his best and left this earth a better place!