Wednesday, September 23, 2009

In Loving Memory

       I received this poem yesterday. It was written by my father-in-law in honor of his daddy who went on to Glory just a few short weeks ago. It's been a while since I've heard a poem that brought tears to my eyes every single time I heard it. I had no idea that my own husband's dad could write poetry; when I found out, it did my heart good because I am writer, a poet, an artist at heart. I thought I would post this poem for all to read. The words are powerful, the message is clear, the flow is smooth, and the meaning brings tears. Enjoy.


In Loving Memory

William Darrell Hamm, Sr. 
1930-2009

Oh hands so big and arms so strong
That swung the hammer and pushed the saw
And many a structure his skill made known
Provided on earth for us a home


Same hands have held the sacred book
And turned its pages to take a look
And built a home in glory land
Following the blessed Saviour’s Plan


Oh feet so sure, Oh legs so stout
Has followed the path the Saviour laid out
And climbed each mountain though tall and steep
Has crossed the valleys some long, some deep


So many have followed his steps so clear
And found the Saviour he loved so dear
They climbed the hills and crossed the plains
And to the cross, so glad they came


Oh arms so long and shoulders broad
Have reached around and hugged us all
And carried our burdens to throne alone
To give them to Jesus who helped us with love


Oh mind so keen and eyes so bright
That voice so gentle so strong and right
Has guided many to the Saviour’s love
And told us all of heaven above


So rest now body, so frail so weak
You housed a soul and spirit so meek
Now gone to heaven and there to stay
But someday return a dawning of day


So sleep now body beneath the sod
It won’t be long from heaven above
A Shout! A Trumpet! Will sound the call
Awake, arise to meet us all


That day to heaven take thy flight
In honor and power, in strength and might
To live forever with loved ones dear
Who trusted in Jesus, His salvation so clear

W.D. Hamm, Jr, his son

No comments: