Friday, February 6, 2009

The Day You Were Born

Joanna Kay Wetzl, my best friend, my only sister, was born on March 20, 1985, and I remember it as if it was yesterday. I played by myself for so long, and I wanted desperately to have a play-mate! I remember the day my mom went into labor. I was playing in my room, and I heard her crying and talking on the phone. I went in her room, and climbed up on the bed asking her what was wrong. She told me that her back her very badly and that I needed to go and play. That evening, my dad dropped me off at our friends, the Walkers, house, and he drove off with my mom. I simply thought I was staying for a couple of hours, and when Mrs. Walker told me it was time for bed, I was confused! She explained to me that my mom was going to have a baby that night. Of course, my mind was not understanding that part because I thought maybe she would be having any color baby! :-) I really wanted a brown baby or an Indian baby! I laugh now, looking back at that thought! Anyway, I was getting over the croup, and that night was like a nightmare! I not only had a hard time breathing, but I missed my mommy terribly and my bed. I remember Mrs. Walker staying up with me most of the night, putting my head to the window and telling me to breathe, taking me in the bathroom with the hot shower running, just rubbing my back and telling me to just breathe. The next morning, I was so tired but excited when my mom called to tell me that I had a new sister! I then asked if she was an Indian baby or if she was brown. My mom laughed and said, "No, honey! She looks like you!"
The next couple of days were kind of a blurr in my mind, but I remember the day we we to go to the hospital to pick up my mommy and sister. I was beside myself with excitement! The hospital was a scary place for me, and I remember being terrified as my dad and I walked through the hallways towards my mom's room. I walked in the room, and for some reason, I thought Joanna would be my size! Mom had told me that she looked like me! :-) Instead, this little baby was laying on her stomach in this glass bed with her thumb in her mouth! I walked up to her and said, "Get up, Joanna! I'm here! Let's play!" My mom explained to me that she didn't know any better, and that she wasn't big enough yet. I was disappointed, but I was still excited about her being "mine." The nurse wheeled my mom and Joanna out in a wheelchair, and I walked beside them very proud.
I don't remember the exact day Joanna played with me, but I remember the first thing we played! We played Snoopy's! We had a bunch of Snoopy's and would play for hours with them! That may be why our love for Snoopy still reigns today! :-) She proved to be the girl who taught me to expand my imagination, and we did everything together over our next 14 years together! I look back at pictures of us and see her looking at me copying everything I did. I had no idea at the time, but she adored me and I was her "idol." I can tell story after story of things we did together throughout our times together! I will eventually have them all penned down, but this is about her and when she came into my life. She is still my best girlfriend, and I wouldn't trade her for any other sister! I'll never forget the day she was born.

No comments: