Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Sound of Church Bells

As I sit here recovering from my oral surgery, I am reminded of the many years that I have gone to church. I guess one doesn't really stop and think about such things until they are not there. I grew up in church for as long as I can remember. Actually, I don't ever remember being asked if I would like to go; it was just a given just like it was a given that I go to school every week. I am thankful for godly parents who brought me up in church, and I don't regret one minute attending. I grew up attending the only Baptist church in McDonald, Ohio, and it was a quaint little building, brick with a huge brick lighted sign out front. I played "baby Jesus" my very first Christmas on earth, and I was also married there a little over 5 years ago. But, it isn't the building that stores all of the memories...it's also the people who attended. I have many fond memories of Grandma Bobbi, Grandma Clawson, and so many more who saw me grow up. I often loved hearing the church bells ringing every Saturday and Sunday, even though the bells didn't come from my church. I often would sit in the park there in town and just listen to the old church bells play some of my favorite hymns. Whenever I heard those bells, I thought of church and the many people who influenced my life growing up. As I sit here, I can still hear those bells, loud and clear, chiming "Amazing Grace." My how, I loved church! I still do love it to this day even though I am living in another state attending another church. Church became my life, and it is my life, but more importantly recently, I have become to realize church as a people, not a building. It's a place where the people come to meet our God...it's a place to remember why we are here on this earth. Church can be anywhere we make it as long as we are assembled together with believers. I have grown up with many great people of faith who knew their God. I grew up in the church that taught me the meaning of life. I cannot imagine life without my God. The sound of those church bells rings clearly in my mind, reminding me of all of this. He is ever present with me, and I will forever be grateful to the many mentors who "light" my way in this darkened world. Church is where I met them, but in my heart they will forever remain. My, how I love those church bells!

No comments: