Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sing to the East and the West!

"O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth. Sing unto the LORD, bless his name; show forth his salvation from day to day." (Psalm 96:1-2) These were some of my favorite verses while I was in college. I actually went to a bus ministry Sunday school which was called the "B" Sunday school, and there was an awesome Spanish lady, named Mrs. Zada Torres. She taught the teen girls this song in English and Spanish. I often sang it throughout my school week. It was so refreshing to me, maybe because I love music so much.
I do know that when I first went to college, I was used to singing weekly in my home church's choir and in groups. Needless to say, at college, they had a "we'll come to you if we want you" policy! Wow! I was left aghast at the thought because I loved to sing. That didn't stop me from trying out for every group they formed, and eventually, I ended up in the Ladies' Ensemble! My, how I loved that group! I sang "girl's bass" in the group because I had informed the director that I could sing any part she threw at me! I really could follow music; so, I knew I could do it! Hardly anyone tried out for the bass part; so, I received that part and loved every minute of it! We dressed alike; so, I have one beautiful red suit still in my trunk along with a nice cranberry jacket and a scarf! We were an awesome group! Every Christmas, we went Christmas caroling throughout the college to all of the offices; so, we were asked to sing in the annual Christmas tree lighting concert downtown Chicago! I had a blast even though I didn't have a date! I was so very disappointed when I couldn't stay with the group my student teaching year which was my senior year! They really wanted me to stay, but I couldn't make the 9 AM practices due to student teaching! I was heart-broken! I did enjoy the singing in the church in front of thousands of people! That in itself is an experience of a lifetime! The Ladies' Ensemble with Sara Mitchell...what memories!

1 comment:

T said...

That's cool! Sounds like it was a lot of fun!! I love to sing, too! I'm not the greatest at it, but I still love it!