Wednesday, December 10, 2008

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch!

What a season this has been! I have to say that people are meaner and grumpier this year. Maybe it's because of the economy, but I've noticed in my store that customers just want to be left alone. It's my job to relay the sales of the day and to see if the customer needs or wants help, and lately, most of them have been curt with the reply, "I'm just looking, thank you." This doesn't make my job any easier, but I always felt that if someone wants to be left alone, then I will leave them alone. At least I have tried to be of a help and will be there if they decide they need my help. Last week, a lady came in to return something. I recognized her name immediately as the lady who buys alot of clothes and then returns over half of them! She is a demanding type of woman, and I could tell that my assistant manager wanted to scream. (not that I blamed her in the least! LOL!) I immediately tried to get every one's attention off of the return and asked the lady if she was going on a cruise. ( her "excuse" for returning the blouse was that she was packing and realized she had too many dress-up tops! LOL! I was laughing inwardly!) She said she wasn't, but was going on a trip to Puerto Rico. That opened a whole new door, and soon the return was done with everyone not being frustrated anymore! All of this to say, I think I learned something that evening. People, no matter how demanding or mean, have something to talk about, something that will interest them. All we have to do is listen. So, as frustrating as people become this time of year, I am going to try and work on that one thing....listening. I have been able to help diffuse many a disagreement either between co-workers or customers this season. Whether it be my sense of humor or soft tone, it's been worth it. I am in no way a perfect "people person" but I am beginning to learn how to deal with all sorts of personalities.

No comments: