Sunday, January 11, 2009

Broken Hearts

I think that I was made to really hurt for people when they hurt. I have always been that way....a deep kind of a person, as you probably would call it. This accident with the Vignere girl really shook me up along with the accident Christmas Eve with two college students who had just graduated and were newly married and expecting. Now, another friend of the Hamm family, Bro. Frank Pitman, has only about a week to live. I know that Josh's parents are really close friends with them, and Josh and Jason grew up with their kids. I met them maybe once or twice. Anyway, these are people I either barely know or people that I don't know at all, and yet my heart breaks for them and their family and loved ones. If you think about it, none of these people woke up that morning and thought to themselves that "today was their last day." They went about living their daily lives with no thought of anything like that. Now, I know that Bro. Frank kinda knows, but I wonder if it really matters if you know or not? I mean, I think it would be harder knowing than not knowing at all. Because to know, would be a dread to leave your family and friends behind. I know you may know you are going to a better place, but our minds can't begin to comprehend what Heaven is really like. We really won't know until we get there, and then, we will never want to come back. I remember when my cousin was killed. It was a few weeks before my graduation from high school. I remember how that devastated me and my family. She was murdered on the edge of town on our church's new 40 acre property! I remember my sister and I had a paper route, and I no longer felt safe even though the guy was behind bars. I think that year, death became very real to me for the first time in my life. I had gone to funerals before, but this one kinda hit very close to home. Plus, she was a little 10 year old girl that was so innocent and beautiful and radiant. I remember questioning God, and held bitterness in my heart until Christmas of that year, when a wise woman told me that I had no right to blame God. I thought to myself at the time, how would you even know? I wanted to rebel against the idea, and I wanted someone to blame, but I couldn't anymore. I realized things like this happen...we can't avoid death, it's a part of life. I can't go to Ohio without going past the cross on the side of the road and also going past her grave. I feel her very presence even though I know she is in a better place. So, that was my introduction into the pain of others. Now, I just hurt for those who are hurting. I cry and pray that the Holy Spirit will comfort their hearts because no other person can do so. "Broken pieces, broken hearts, Who can number all the parts, Pain and sadness, Tears abound, The Holy Spirit comfort, Truly safe and sound."

1 comment:

T said...

You know, I've never really had death hit close to home. I know it will happen sometime, but I've never even been to a funeral. I wonder if I will be able to handle it all ok. That was very sad about the families that preacher mentioned on Sunday morning. I'm praying for them.