Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Within These Walls

 
 
Behind every poem lies a story, a memory, a piece of one's life. For years, I allowed myself to hide in the shadows and observe those around me. I have been known as quiet and a girl of few words, but in reality, I have much to say. If you pay attention, you will find most of what I have to say within my writings. This particular poem is written from the view point of moving on from hurts and pain from the past. I had a great childhood, but I allowed those in my life to tell me how I should be and how my personality really was. It wasn't until these past few years, that I figured out who I really was without the words and pictures others had painted about me. I have learned much about myself, but the main thing is that I have a heart of mercy. Where others tore me down, I build those in my life up. Like the song, You Raise Me Up, I decided one day to truly invest in those around me and build them up in their daily lives.
 
 
Within these walls I hide behind what you have to say
Never standing forward, never speaking up
I allowed you to say what you had to say
And I rarely had any words with which to reply
For I kept them all buried deep inside
And never a word did I speak in your presence
All of the pain you have caused
All of the uproar within your domain
I stood back and allowed myself to be silent
I step forward now, not to yell or even cry
But to say that I forgive you.
I forgive you for all of your judgments
I forgive you for not understanding the way of life
To not know what I know today, to walk in total darkness
I forgive you for not understanding what it is to walk in love
To put others before your very self
I bow within the pain that you possess
That you don't know how to reach out your hand with mercy
To forgive as Christ forgave us
I bow in prayer that one day, you too will be set free...
Free from this burden that weighs your body down
That darkens the way of those who are lost
That you will see the light that He possesses
And you will feel His grace, far beyond comprehension.
I forgive you for you are standing in the dark
And you need someone to light your path.
I close my eyes in prayer for you
That you will understand no condemnation
And you will stand in freedom, in grace, in light, in peace.
I am not better than you by any means
For we all stand equal at the foot of the cross...
I reach out my hand and offer forgiveness, restoration, freedom.


 



No comments: