Saturday, October 19, 2013

Girl Meets World

 
 
       For as long as I can remember, I have been able to go to a magical place where all of my dreams come true. Long before I had a sister and a brother, I became very good at playing well alone. I have always had a vivid imagination, and the truth of the matter is, that was the beginning of my life as a writer, and continues even to this day. Whenever something was a little "off" in my world, I was able to sit and day-dream, and I even carried a little notebook with me so that I was able to write down my feelings on the matter. As I became older, my mom took note that whenever I would spend hours on the piano, I was hurting inside. Music also became my "magical world." I believe that writing and music go hand-in-hand, and that they both have a healing power. Words can heal, and they can also destroy. The same is with music...it can heal a broken heart or it can cause the anger that is built up inside, to implode into a disaster. The following is a poem about the magical world of writing and poetry and how they tie together.
 
 
I grew up where the sun shone through my yellow curtains
And made me feel like my life was brand-new
I'd stare out across the royal plushness of my backyard
And dream of places that existed beyond the green carpet
Places that could take you where great people once lived
I could hear the music whistling through the silky evergreens
I could close my eyes and smell the mustiness of the autumn leaves
Hear the fast-approaching trains that rumbled near my window
Rattling the antique glass and making me feel safe and sound
Music wafted through the vents with the toastiness of the warmth
Listening to hours of practice and beautiful melodies from my sister
I can smell the mouth-watering baking for the holidays
As I'd crack open a hard-backed book
Ready to meet a new person and become fast friends
Flashlights glowing under the bed-covers
Headphones worn to drown out the world around me
I could lay on my back against the smoothed concrete
Of the expansive white-washed gazebo
And listen to the birds sing their many melodies
From the wooded trails not far from my being
I could harmonize completely with my family
Relishing the fact that our voices blended as one
And knowing that that moment would but vanish
From my out-stretched grasp....
Oh, I can always leave my current work-filled day
And travel back in time, to meet  many beautiful, old friends
Acquaint myself with new ones and never see their faces with my eyes
For to imagine is the best skill a writer can possess
To see the world from up above, looking down
Hovering over them like an angel of light
They make their way through the looking glass and into your pen
Singing the songs, whether good or bad
And creating a memory that was once upon a time....


No comments: